TED | 你饮食选择背后的隐形力量
创始人
2024-12-21 14:48:42
0

视频介绍

食物和气候专家萨拉·莱克说,我们吃的不是我们选择什么,而是我们提供给我们的东西。她揭示了政府和公司如何通过广泛的营销推动美国的肉类消费,她解释了我们如何利用这些力量来激励植物性饮食——为了地球、公共卫生和全球粮食安全。

片长:8:35

滑动查看完整双语演讲稿☟

When I was a kid, we'd go visit my grandparents.当我还是个孩子的时候,我们会去看望我的祖父母。

And my Grandma Toots was a classic 1950s American housewife.我的图茨奶奶是一位典型的20世纪50年代美国家庭主妇。

She, though, was a terrible cook.不过,她的厨艺很糟糕。

She cooked everything in the microwave, even meat.她用微波炉煮所有东西,甚至肉。

And she had meat at every meal, even in her cottage cheese.她每顿饭都有肉,甚至在她的白干酪中也是如此。

One time my brother brought his girlfriend to visit, and she was a vegetarian.有一次我哥哥带他女朋友来拜访,她是素食主义者。

And so my brother reminded Grandma Toots of this.所以我哥哥提醒图茨奶奶这一点。

And she said, "Oh, OK, what does she want for dinner then?她说:“哦,好吧,那她晚餐想吃什么?

Chicken or fish?"鸡肉还是鱼?"

I mean, Grandma Toots could not imagine that you would have a meal that didn't revolve around meat.我的意思是,图茨奶奶无法想象你会吃一顿不围绕肉的饭菜。

And I can see why.我明白为什么了。

I mean, she grew up in a time where she was inundated by government promotions that meat was key to supporting your country and company ads that talked about it being essential for being strong and manly.我的意思是,她成长的时代被政府宣传肉类是支持国家的关键,而公司广告则谈论肉类对于坚强和男子气概至关重要。

And it was cheap, too.而且也很便宜。

It was subsidized by the government and partially explained as a way of bulking up malnourished men so that they could fight in World War II.它得到了政府的补贴,部分解释为是一种增强营养不良男性的方式,以便他们能够参加第二次世界大战。

But what my grandma witnessed in the first half of her life was unprecedented.但我奶奶前半生所目睹的一切是前所未有的。

She saw the fastest and widest shift in diets that had ever occurred.她看到了有史以来最快、最广泛的饮食转变。

Within just a few decades, she saw the norm go from eating meat as a rare treat, to having it three times a day, to having meat named after our meals.在短短几十年内,她发现吃肉的常态从一种罕见的享受变成了一天吃三次,再到以我们的膳食命名肉类。

So we had breakfast meats, we had lunch meats and, well, beef, it's what's for dinner.所以我们有早餐肉、午餐肉,至于晚餐,那就是牛肉。

And that didn't happen because people just suddenly realized they really liked the taste of meat.这并非因为人们突然意识到他们真的很喜欢肉的味道。

What we eat is less about what we choose and more about what's offered to us.我们吃的东西,更多地取决于我们被提供了什么,而不是我们选择了什么。

And companies and governments today still make it really hard for us to choose anything other than meat.今天的公司和政府仍然让我们很难选择肉类以外的任何东西。

I mean, it's offered everywhere.我的意思是,到处都有。

It's often the only choice, and it's cheaper than other options.这通常是唯一的选择,而且比其他选择更便宜。

So much so, if you took away all government support and subsidies for meat, a pound of ground beef would cost 30 dollars.所以,如果你取消所有政府对肉类的支持和补贴,一磅碎牛肉将花费30美元。

So now we eat more meat than ever before, and it's continuing to grow.所以现在我们吃的肉比以往任何时候都多,而且肉还在继续增长。

And we got to this point thanks to the extensive and far-reaching efforts of governments and companies to push our diets towards meat.我们之所以走到这一步,要归功于各国政府和公司为推动我们的饮食转向肉类而做出的广泛而深远的努力。

What we need now is the same fundamental shift in what we eat, but in the opposite direction, back towards plants.现在我们需要的是在吃的东西上做出根本性的转变,但方向相反,回到以植物为主。

I'm here today as a food and climate expert because diet shifts are critical for the planet.我今天作为食品和气候专家来到这里,因为饮食转变对地球至关重要。

The only way that we can reach climate targets and feed 10 billion people is by reducing the production and consumption of industrial meat.我们实现气候目标并养活100亿人的唯一方法是减少工业肉类的生产和消费。

We need other solutions.我们需要其他解决方案。

We need regenerative agriculture.我们需要再生农业。

And we need to address food loss and waste.我们需要解决粮食损失和浪费问题。

But those alone are insufficient to reach climate goals.但仅靠这些不足以实现气候目标。

And diet shifts are also essential for food security and health.饮食转变对于粮食安全和健康也至关重要。

We need to grow more food on less land by 2050, and to do that,到2050年,我们需要在更少的土地上种植更多的粮食,为此,

we need to shift from land-intensive animal protein to land-efficient vegetable protein.我们需要从土地密集型动物蛋白转向土地高效的植物蛋白。

And that also helps with our health.这也有助于我们的健康。

Grandma Toots continued to put meat in pretty much every meal, and by the time I was about 11, that diet caught up with my dad, her son, and he had a massive heart attack.奶奶图茨几乎在每顿饭里都放肉,到我大约11岁的时候,这种饮食习惯影响到了我的爸爸,她的儿子,他遭受了一次严重的心脏病发作。

I don't remember a lot about it, but I remember sitting in this hospital waiting for him to get out of six-way bypass surgery,我不记得那时的很多情况,但我记得我坐在医院里等着他做完六路旁路手术,

using this very high-tech surgery plan of 1996.那是1996年非常高精尖的手术方案。

And my mom took me and my siblings to get dinner in the hospital while we waited.在我们等待的时候,妈妈带着我和弟弟妹妹去医院的餐厅吃晚饭。

And she took us to the only restaurant that was available: a McDonald's.她带我们去了唯一一家可用的餐厅:麦当劳。

So we sat there eating greasy cheeseburgers while my dad was on the floor above, having open-heart surgery due to years of eating unhealthy food.所以我们坐在那里吃着油腻的芝士汉堡,而我的爸爸正在楼上的手术室里接受开心脏的手术,这都是因为他多年来吃了太多不健康的食物。

And we ate there because it was really all that was available.我们之所以去那里吃,是因为那里真的是唯一的选择。

After my dad's surgery, our household went largely plant-based thanks to my mom.爸爸手术后,我们家在妈妈的努力下,基本上改为了以植物为主的饮食。

And my dad, he's still alive.而我的爸爸,他现在还活着。

So I know firsthand how plant-rich diets can be life-saving.所以我亲身知道富含植物的饮食可以救命。

And now we know that overconsumption of meat is a leading cause of preventable disease, including heart disease, but also obesity and diabetes.现在我们知道,过度食用肉类是可预防疾病的主要原因,包括心脏病,也包括肥胖和糖尿病。

We also know that meat is a leading cause of climate change.我们还知道肉类是气候变化的主要原因。

Meat alone can account for as much as 20 percent of global emissions.仅肉类就可占全球排放量的20%。

We also know that we're misusing nearly half of our farmland to grow feed for animals, rather than food for humans.我们还知道,我们滥用近一半的农田来种植动物饲料,而不是人类的食物。

But no one really wants to talk about this proverbial cow in the room. The fundamental need to shift our food system away from industrial meat.但是,没有人真正愿意谈论这个房间里的大象——即我们需要从根本上改变以工业化肉类为主的食品体系。

And maybe it's because we know people really care about what they eat.也许是因为我们深知人们真的很在意自己的饮食。

Or maybe it's because we know we're not going to get there by pleading with people to eat differently,或者也许是因为我们知道通过恳求人们采取不同的饮食方式来实现这一目标,

especially when most consumers have to go out of their way and pay more for alternative products.尤其是当大多数消费者不得不不遗余力地为替代产品支付更多费用时。

What we need is for companies and governments to offer and incentivize plant-rich diets the same way they did for meat decades ago.我们需要的是公司和政府提供和激励富含植物的饮食,就像几十年前对肉类所做的那样。

I need to walk into a McDonald's and see a menu full of plant-rich options and have them be just as cheap or cheaper than the Big Mac.我需要走进麦当劳,看到菜单上充满了富含植物的选择,并让它们和巨无霸一样便宜或更便宜。

And we need our schools and hospitals to offer plant-based foods as the default, where you can get meat but you have to ask for it as the exception.我们需要我们的学校和医院提供植物性食品作为默认食品,你可以得到肉类,但你必须要求它作为例外。

And we need just as much money to flow into the plant-based industry as currently makes meat wildly and artificially cheap.我们需要同样多的资金流入植物性行业,就像目前疯狂且人为地降低肉类价格一样多。

Whether that's making better black bean burgers or novel alternative proteins.无论是制作更好的黑豆汉堡还是新型替代蛋白质。

We know that this can work because it has before.我们知道这可以起作用,因为它以前也有过。

And we know it's working again in the places where we've dared to try it.我们知道它在我们敢于尝试的地方再次发挥作用。

Just last month, I was in Germany, and I walked into a Burger King and bam!就在上个月,我在德国,我走进了汉堡王,砰的一声!

I was bombarded with ads for their plant-based Whopper.我收到了他们植物性巨无霸的广告轰炸。

It was all over the store, and the plant-based Whopper was center of the menu, and it was the same price as the regular Whopper.商店里到处都是,植物性的华堡是菜单的中心,而且价格与普通华堡相同。

Today in Burger Kings in Germany, one in five of all Whoppers sold are plant-based.如今,在德国的汉堡王,售出的华堡中有五分之一是植物性的。

One in five, in the country that invented the frankfurter.五分之一的人来自法兰克福香肠发明的国家。

Or take Lidl, it's one of the largest supermarkets in Europe.或者以Lidl为例,它是欧洲最大的超市之一。

They decided to put their plant-based meat next to the conventional meat in the meat section and make it the same price.他们决定将植物肉放在肉类区的传统肉旁边,并使其价格相同。

So when you went to grab a package of ground beef, you had a healthier, sustainable plant-based option right next to it that costs the same.因此,当你去拿一包碎牛肉时,旁边有一个更健康、可持续的植物性选择,而且价格相同。

Within six months of making this change, the sale of their plant-based products went up by 30 percent and shows no sign of lagging.做出这一改变后的六个月内,他们的植物性产品的销量增长了30%,而且没有任何放缓的迹象。

Even in New York City public schools, the largest school district in the country.即使是在全国最大的学区纽约市公立学校。

They now have plant-based lunches for students, so over a million children are eating plant-based lunches at least once a week.现在他们为学生提供植物性午餐,因此超过一百万儿童每周至少吃一次植物性午餐。

Now scaling from here, it's not easy politically or personally.从现在开始扩大规模,无论是从政治还是个人层面来说,都不容易。

But we're not talking about never eating meat. We're talking about less meat and more plants.但我们并不是说要永远不吃肉,而是要吃更少的肉,更多的植物。

We're talking about overconsumption of meat.我们谈论的是过度消费肉类。

The average American right now eats six times the recommended amount of red meat.现在,美国人平均食用的红肉量是推荐量的六倍。

Six times.六倍啊!

If we were to just halve that, it would have massive benefits for the climate, for food security and for health.如果我们将其减少一半,将对气候、粮食安全和健康产生巨大好处。

And companies and governments have been telling us for decades what to eat.几十年来,公司和政府一直在告诉我们该吃什么。

They have the power to help us choose differently.他们有能力帮助我们做出不同的选择。

And yes, there's progress to be made.是的,还有进步的空间。

We need products that are plant-based to be healthier and cheaper.我们需要植物性产品才能更健康、更便宜。

But without a doubt, eating more plants is better for the planet, better for animals and better for us.但毫无疑问,吃更多的植物对地球更好,对动物更好,对我们更好。

And when companies and governments make it easier for us to choose differently, we do.当公司和政府让我们更容易做出不同的选择时,我们就会这样做。

People want healthy and sustainable options, but it's simply not that easy to make that choice today.人们想要健康和可持续的选择,但今天做出这样的选择并不那么容易。

The momentum, it's growing.势头正在增强。

That McDonald's in the hospital, it got kicked out.那家开在医院里的麦当劳被赶了出去。

And my dad gets to play and share, not-dogs and the occasional hot dog at family barbecues.我爸爸可以在家庭烧烤时尽情享用素食热狗和偶尔的真热狗。

And that's the world I envision for all of us, where we're able to improve public health, we have avoided the worst of the climate crisis,这就是我为我们所有人设想的世界,我们能够改善公共卫生,我们避免了最严重的气候危机,

and we've improved global food security.我们还改善了全球粮食安全。

That world is possible because we've shifted diets before, and we can do it again. Thank you.这个世界是可能的,因为我们以前改变过饮食,而且我们可以再次这样做。谢谢。

每天观看TED演讲,收获良多:

为何看过无数美剧

听过无数英文歌

遇到老外还是“哑巴英语”?

那是因为你缺少口语锻炼!

勇敢开口说英语,

相信你也可以!

相关内容

热门资讯

益阳网红蕾蕾去世年仅32岁 朋... (来源:极目新闻 记者:郭奕) 5月17日,湖南益阳网红蕾蕾的社交平台更新了其母亲发布的讣告,称蕾蕾...
初夏烧烤季,当心舌尖上的“波浪... 【来源:庆阳疾控】 初夏时节,气温渐升,街边烧烤摊的烟火气又开始袅袅升起。烤得滋滋冒油的羊肉串、鲜嫩...
蛋白质,到底该怎么吃?| 吃出... 蛋白质是组成人体细胞、组织的重要成分,约占人体全部质量的18%,我们身体的每一个细胞和所有重要的组成...
肠息肉多半是吃出来的,这3种习... 53岁的李先生在一次肠镜检查中,被发现结肠里长了5颗息肉。医生告诉他,这些都属于腺瘤性息肉,有一定癌...
男人的钱不给老婆管,多半会有这... 男人的钱不给老婆管,多半会有这两个后果 婚姻里,钱从来不是单纯的数字,而是信任的试金石,是同心的粘合...
这种又软又纤细的身材,可能比纯... “摸着软软糯糯,晃一晃还像水一样会流动......”这种身材被网友戏称为“脂包骨”。 △图源网络 ...
原创 明... 导读:枇杷黄后杨梅紫,正是农家小满天。时间过得真快,一眨眼就到小满,小满是夏天的第二个节气,进入到小...
原创 越... 在探讨“越来越多女人不忠”的现象时,我们不得不提及一个被广泛讨论的话题:24孝男人到底做错了什么?这...
一图读懂 | 《中华人民共和国... 来源:中国疾控中心 地址:呼和浩特市玉泉区五里营一号 1路、6路、27路、209路、K3路公交车在呼...
原创 专... 人到一定年纪才懂,身上所有的沉重疲惫,都是常年生活习惯慢慢堆出来的 夜深人静,翻到一些前辈留下来的...
体重秤降了就是瘦了?熬夜党必看... “今晚多熬会儿夜,说不定能瘦两斤”,不少人都有过这样的想法。尤其是看到体重秤上偶尔下降的数字,更坚信...
原创 夏... 盛夏高温闷热,雨水繁多,体内最容易堆积湿气!很多人一到夏天就浑身黏腻、四肢沉重、晨起浮肿,明明没吃多...
原创 强... 肝脏是人体的排毒核心,负责代谢毒素、疏通气血、调理全身机能。现代人经常熬夜、吃油腻、久坐少动、情绪烦...
武汉眼科专家提醒:高考后做近视... 又一年高考季,不少考生在做冲刺的同时,也将“摘镜”提上日程——有人为了顺利报考警校、军校等对视力有要...
糖尿病人夏季早餐这样吃,血糖平... 夏季天气炎热,很多糖尿病朋友会发现自己的血糖变得不太稳定。其实,这和人体的代谢特点有关——夏季胰岛素...
医生发现:早期脑梗不是眼模糊,... 脑梗,这个词在中老年人群中经常出现,但很多人对它的早期信号还存在误解。 殊不知,早期脑梗的征兆并非像...
原创 能... 在爱情的海洋中,每一颗星都承载着不同的情感与期待。星座,作为人类性格与命运的象征,总能为我们解读那些...
大连盐屋0加盟费:2026年市... 随着健康消费观念的持续升级,传统养生项目正在经历从重资产投入向轻量化运营的转型。在大连地区,盐屋作为...
原创 吃... 天热了,降压药的使用也不能大意。近来,医院里发现,夏季高温期间,因为用药不当导致血压波动甚至严重并发...
特发性震颤,血脉畅通是关键!盛... 在中医上,特发性震颤往往与气血循环不畅、血脉淤堵息息相关。气血运行受阻、血脉淤堵等会导致脏腑功能减退...